The Cathedral

It is the icon of Palermo’s historical memory with the Royal Palace. It was born as early Christian graveyard, then Church and Mosque later, it turned Cathedral by the Normans around 1100 AD.

The Royal Palace

It is Palermo’s history emblem. It was born as Punic fortification, then Hellenic, Norman, Roman, Byzantine and Arabs; but it was the Norman Ruggero II who first determined it as Royal Residence. Today it is the administrative division of the Sicilian region.

Teatro Massimo Vittorio Emanuele

It is the biggest lyric theatre in Italy and one of the most beautiful in Europe. It was designed in Corinthian Order by Giovan Battista Filippo Basile in 1875 first and by his son Ernesto Basile then.

Teatro Politaema Garibaldi

It is an important proof if the Neoclassical art in Palermo. It was built among 1866 and 1891 by Giuseppe Damiani Almeyda.

Orto Botanico

It is a botanic garden hosting 12.000 species.  It has scientific and educational functions till XVIII century and it hosts

Piazza Pretoria

The sculptures of Fontana Pretoria were originally part of the fountain in the garden of Luigi di Toledo in Florence. The Senate of Palermo bought them in 1573 and Camillo Camillani, son of the sculptor that realised them, put the sculptures together glorifying the pagan-mythological character of the city. He created a real “water machine” in a garden made of stones. You will see stairs as bridges above the river, imaginary animals and symbolic representations of the local rivers (Maredolce, Oreto, Papireto and Gabriele). In the middle of the fountain there are three high basins and the “Genio of Palermo” at their top, who was the lucky symbol of the city in XVII century.

La Cala

It is part of the sea between via Francesco Crispi and Foro Italico. It corresponds to the oldest harbour of Palermo. 

 

Mondello

Mondello is a small borough and tourist destination of Palermo. Its beach lies between two cliffs called Mount Gallo and Mount Pellegrino.

Quattro Canti

At the intersection with Via Vittorio Emanuele, known also as “Cassaro”, you will see the Quattro Canti where human (the four seasons and the four elements) and holy (the three orders of God and the four  patrons of the city) are combined. We have the Spring with Carlo V and S. Cristina; the Summer and fire with Filippo II and S. Ninfa; the Autumn and air with Filippo IV and S. Oliva; the Winter and water with Filippo III and S. Agata

Palazzo Chiaramonte

Towards the sea you will meet Piazza Marina and its main attractions Palazzo Chiaramonte known as “Steri” and Villa Garibaldi. Palazzo Chiaramonte was built in the early XIV century and it has been the inquisition courthouse of the city from 1600 to 1782. Today it is the University’s headquarters.

Piazza Marina

The major Antonio Starrabba di Rudinì converted Piazza Marina, location of hundred of public executions, into a beautiful square and gave birth to Villa Garibaldi in 1860. Here there is the Ficus Magnolioides which is one of the oldest and biggest in Italy.